Congratulations to our 2018 recipient Jaidyn Lam! For more information click here.
The Dee Daniels Vocal Jazz Scholarship was established by Dee Daniels and Doug Fleming in 2016 to provide young aspiring jazz vocalists with the opportunity to be mentored by renowned professional jazz artists, and to hone the craft of jazz singing, performance, and music industry business. The scholarship will offer each recipient the opportunity to be inspired, and to inspire others, while attending the DeMiero Jazz Fest each year in Edmonds, Washington.
- The Dee Daniels Vocal Jazz Scholarship is valued at $1,000.00 and is managed by the DeMiero Jazz Festival.
- The scholarship will provide airfare to and from the festival, room and board in a safe and secure homestay, and a per diem (the amount to be determined each year just prior to the festival and received upon arrival).
- The scholarship will provide a talented young jazz vocalist the opportunity to be mentored by guest artist(s) and clinicians. They will also have an opportunity to expand their jazz vocal skills, knowledge, and practical experience through attending clinics, having private lessons and shadowing guest artist(s), and through featured performances with world class jazz musicians as part of the evening concert series.
- Backstage access
- Application deadline for the 2019 Festival: November 15, 2018
- Notification: December 10, 2018
- Letter of recommendation from school music director, professional jazz artist, or accredited jazz music industry professional
- American or Canadian citizen
- Current high school student in grade 9 - 12 active in vocal jazz performance
- Must have a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Demonstrate a high level of self-motivation
- Demonstrate the ability to apply experience and knowledge to performance
Student Application Requirements
- Submit a short written resumé of musical experiences, including any special recognition (i.e. honor choir, awards, etc.)
- Submit a photo of yourself
- For your audition, submit a total of three individual digital video recordings (each song should be on a separate video, do not put all three songs on one video). Please include the following and in the following order:
- A jazz ballad (first 8 bars a cappella; the rest performed with instrumental accompaniment).
- A medium or up-tempo swing tune.
- A bebop, blues or latin (e.g. bossa nova, samba, rumba) tune.
- Use of a Standards Real Book or Standards Fake Book is acceptable. Original compositions within the jazz genre are also acceptable.
- All audition submissions must be memorized and performed without sheet music.
- Tone Production - the ability to achieve a quality of sound appropriate to the type of voice and to the style of the music.
- Technique - the degree to which the performer has acquired control of the voice.
- Diction - accurate pronunciation and clear articulation.
- Intonation - singing in tune.
- Interpretation - the ability to accurately express the piece performed with a clear understanding of its meaning.
- Phrasing - sensitivity to the need for phrasing and the ability to execute it.
- Accompaniment is limited to piano (preferred) or guitar.
- You may accompany yourself (on piano or guitar) keeping in mind only the vocals are being adjudicated.
- Make sure the level of your accompaniment does not overpower the sound of your voice in the recording.
Guidelines for Recording Your Audition
- Leave the camera in one location. Shoot the vocalist straight on.
- Be sure your image is clear and well-lit. Judges should be able to see your face clearly.
- The camera should be set at a distance to frame your face and body clearly.
- Check for good balance and blend. Please ensure the balance between piano and voice is appropriate.
Media Submission Requirements
- After you have recorded your pieces, watch them in playback to make sure you can be seen and heard.
- Verify the image is upright (not sideways) and plays smoothly.
- Save and name your files with appropriate titles
- Provide each selection as a separate video file.
- Upload your video recordings to your favorite digital video storage site (YouTube, Vimeo, Dropbox etc.) and provide us with the links to access them.
Please do not do any of the following as it may disqualify you
- Do not edit within a piece.
- Do not use special effects, dissolves, fades or wipes.
- Do not submit pre-recorded live performances, such as recitals, concerts, or competitions.
- Application deadline: November 15, 2018
- Notification: December 10, 2018
All student information contained within these forms will be kept confidential. All fields are required.
The Application consists of 2 parts:
- CLICK HERE if you are a Student submitting an application. Please be sure to have your parent or guardian fill out the appropriate section also. Do not fill out this form until you have created your resume and photo and uploaded your video files to your video server (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
- CLICK HERE if you are a school music director, professional jazz artist, or accredited jazz music industry professional and are submitting a Recommendation for a student.